Friday, April 16, 2010

Realization

Last night I was putting Jimmy to bed. We turn on his music and rock for a bit and then he usually asks to get in bed. We pray and then say goodnight. Well last night was a bit different. He asked me to tell him a story about himself. I was caught off guard... Jim was the story teller and it was all I could do to get a little story out without crying. I couldn't stop thinking about how many silly stories he won't hear from his Daddy. How I'm going to have to fill in that part somehow and teach him things dad's are supposed to teach their kids, especially boys.

Something really big hit me yesterday. No not a rock or anything like that.... it was the realization that I now carry the sole responsibility of raising two kids spiritually and physically and emotionally. I've been working overtime with Abby and I think it's exasperating her. I had to back off of something I was ranting on about last night. Being selfish I think. I don't want to neglect their spiritual growth but I also don't want to so pound it down that they turn me off. Jim seemed to always have the right thing to say in a way that wasn't harsh. I can't seem to find that gift yet.

Lord, give me the wisdom I need at each moment to train my kids for your glory. I don't know what I'm doing but I want to do YOUR best for them.

Amen

2 comments:

  1. You're going to do great, Karla. Your kids are blessed and extremely lucky to have a mom that loves them so much and wants the best of everything for them. You're going to find your balance. It's a bit early yet. I know this is really hard, but you're going to get there. And I know you. You're going to surround that little boy with lots of godly, helpful, loving men whom you can trust to help you with that side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Karla. This is just so beautiful. I think if you call out to Jim, that his energy and love and personality flavor (it rubs off after 12 years) will guide and inspire you. I just know he is loving you three and taking care of you from his special place. I love you all so much xoxoxox Jo

    ReplyDelete